The Athenaeum is back!

It looks like the Athenaeum artwork database is finally back on the web.

Many readers will recall that I have been a fan of this great source of art history in the public domain in the past and often mention it when I write about various artists of the past.

It started in 2001 and unfortunately stopped connecting in April 2020 (?).

So I said goodbye to the Athens art database? After that it seemed to be gone and was only available through the Internet Archive .

Thanks Debra Levie for pointing me to the internet.
Athena is a free online portal for the arts and humanities. You can browse over 100,000 works of art by thousands of artists or join us and help improve the site!
Beginning of the Athenaeum

Looking at the internet archives, it seems he came back at the end of last year.

However , since the website does not have a security certificate and starts with http instead of https, some people (including me) will have trouble accessing it through Google Chrome, essentially preventing them from accessing in it. dangerous sites. This is part of the process of protecting people online.

(Note: If you do not use the security certificate and https prefix for your site, you need them!)

I found it much easier to log in using my Apple Safari browser. I have not tried other, but my experience is that a website can not be accessed through Chrome or that it is too slow.

We still do not know what happened to Atheneaum in 2020. I think most of the owners were sick and / or busy with other things and / or made a mistake claiming copyright infringement and / or technically too much tired. problems and spammers (this often happens on large sites that have been around for a long time).

Someone who wrote to me after following my previous blog knows the owner's email address but said they received no response.

I would suggest that if the owner has had financial problems with his accommodation, or is really tired of technical problems, he should consider:

  • Having a digital donation box on the site (but it requires a security certificate!) I know a lot of people really like the site and want to continue ...
  • Seek help from volunteers to moderate the technical aspects of the forum and site
I know I would be very happy to see him again and I know there would be many other artists who are interested in art history.

PS: I still want to know who rocsdad is !! The contributions we have made over the years have been incredible!

Next Post Previous Post
No Comment
Add Comment
comment url